Stone and Granite Countertops, Marble Fireplaces, Natural Stone Products For Your Home - Your Questions Answered!
- Check references.
- Get a Certificate of Insurance from the company's insurance agent (not directly from the company) and make sure both liability and workman's compensation insurance are on the policy.
- Visit the fabrication facility, showroom, and stockyard.
We invite you to come to our facility and tour our showroom and shop, examine our work, visit with our specialist...and then take a look at the other fabricators. You will see that Austin Stone Works is your best value and your best choice.
Granites and marbles are quarried throughout the world in the form of huge blocks, some weighing up to 20 tons. These blocks are cut into slabs that are generally 3/4" or 1 1/4" thick and the faces are polished to the specified finish. These slabs are then carefully crated and shipped to the fabricator who will process them into the final product.
- Dust surfaces frequently.
- Blot up spills immediately.
- Clean your stone surface with a few drops of neutral cleaner, stone soap, or mild dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Use a soft, clean rag to clean natural stone.
- Be sure to rinse after washing with the soap solution and dry with a soft, clean cloth.
- Take care to not use too much soap, as this may leave a film and cause streaks.
- Refrain from using products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids to prevent scratches on the natural stone.
- Avoid using scouring powders or creams which may scratch the surface of natural stone due to their harsh abrasives.
- Don't mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
- For natural stone in bathrooms - To minimize soap scum, a squeegee should be used after use of natural stone bathroom surfaces. If a soap-scum remover is used, it should be non-acidic.
- All tops installed by Austin Stone Works are sealed with a penetrating sealer.
- Get your drawing to us (e-mail, fax, walk in, etc).
- Select the material that you like (we will supply you with samples).
- Select the shape of the countertop edge.
- Decide what kind of sinks, faucets, and cooking facilities you want in your tops.
- We will create a proposal based on your drawing, details, and materials selected.
- We then review what you need to do to prepare for our field measure.
- Our production manager will coordinate schedules and production. He is available for your questions and will review preparation for the on-site measure.
- We will then measure and make the templates as needed.
- Production begins. Production time will vary.
- Installation is scheduled.
- We will arrive as we have scheduled. We will contact you if we are running off schedule.
- We believe that the cornerstone to good work is good communication!
- Measuring the job site. An accurate measure at the outset will insure an accurate fit.
- Matching material. Natural stone is a product of nature, therefore it varies in color, structure, and character. Our slab inventory enables you to select the bundle of material that will be used on your project. We will reserve additional material in case of breakage during fabrication or installation.
- Machinery to cut, shape, and polish and skilled craftsman to finish and install. An efficient shop is a combination of machinery (ensuring consistent shape, straight lines, and mirror like polish) and skilled craftsman to do the work machinery cannot. Skilled craftsman are hard to come by. Be wary of shops relying completely upon employees with hand tools. It takes skill, planning, and the right equipment to fabricate and install your project on time and to your satisfaction.
- Communication with the client and control of the project. It is important that we understand what you want to achieve; that we are all "working on the same page". Our sales staff and production manager will insist on reviewing the job with you and will help you prepare for the work to come. This process has been very successful and has reduced mistakes and confusion.
All of this is vital to ensure a quality product.
If you have other questions that we have not addressed here, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help.